"Always have a Vivid Imagination, for you never know when you might need it." -J.K. Rowling

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Reading > Writing?

Whoever thought that reading would be a problem? I certainly never did, but it's starting to show itself as one lately. I love books, always have, but they've started to take over my free time. Normally, I wouldn't think much of it, but it's been taking away from time I would normally spend writing.

Lately I've been either at work or reading... no writing to speak of. You'd think that someone who just finished school for writing would be surrounded by piles of papers and full of fresh ideas for stories, but that hasn't been the case. I've just found myself surrounded by books, and each trip to the book store is a new strain on my wallet and more time away from my journal.

So is it a bad thing? I could argue (which I normally do) that reading is good for writing. It's no secret that good writers are also good readers, since books let us see what's out there as well as what works and what doesn't. But that theory only works if the writing comes after the reading. Since I've been doing mass amounts of page turning though, and haven't really lifted a pen - I guess I can't use the excuse that reading compliments writing.

Right now I'm working my way through the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris, and once I'm done with all of those I have plenty more to read. I've recently purchased the complete Chronicles of Narnia, the Sherlock Holmes stories, Lewis Carroll's works, Dante's Divine Comedy, The Portrait of Dorian Grey, Treasure Island, Freud's Interpretation of Dreams, and more that I can't even think of. Plus, there's always the Harry Potter series that begs to be reread at regular intervals.

With that ever increasing pile of books wanting to be read, how can I refuse them? I love my books (even if I am running out of places to put them), and just wish that I could make a career out of doing pleasure reading. Since reading is keeping my mind working, I guess I won't worry too much about my recent lack of writing. If it persists, then I have a problem, but as of now I'm going to go with it. There really is nothing better than curling up with a book after working a day of retail. Should I really deny myself that pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment